The Flora Fund at BCF
The Flora Fund is a sport-funding programme established in 2018 by Flora Duffy, to support other young Bermudian athletes. The Flora Fund provides grants to aspiring and talented athletes to achieve excellence in a sport of their choice. The Fund is administered with the support of the Bermuda Community Foundation.
There are two types of Grants available at The Flora Fund:
- Bursaries for individual athletes
- Grants for sporting organizations.
Awarded Amounts: Varies
Number of Awards Granted per year: Varies
Age Restrictions: None
Nationality Requirement: Bermudian
Must have been educated in Bermuda for some time: Yes
- Proof of Bermudian or PRC Status
- The Flora Fund Application Form
Email both documents to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Flora Fund considers the social and economic barriers facing an athlete’s family when determining eligibility for funding.
- Athletes 18 and under are given priority but athletes of all ages are eligible to apply for a grant.
- Grants can be used for the payment of sport participation / registration fees, equipment, travel, training fees, event registration, coaching, camps, lessons, travel to events, etc.
- Only one application per calendar year, for one eligible sport, may be submitted.
- Sport activities must demonstrate a sustained sport experience (a season of a sport led by a qualified coach) and the sport activity must be affiliated with the member sport organizations in Bermuda or where the athlete trains.
- A parent of guardian must initiate an application on behalf of an athlete under the age of 18.
- The parent or guardian fills out sections 1 to 3 and passes the application to a Financial Verification Endorser.
- It is the responsibility of the parent of guardian to ensure the application is complete and submitted to a TFF / BCF.
- The Financial Verification Endorser completes Section 4
- The Endorser is the most important setp in the TFF application process. The individual verifies that without TFF assistance, the child might not be able to particulate in the season of sport. The Endorser acts as an objective third party who is familiar with the athlete’s family and is in a professional position to assess the social and economic barriers facing the family.
- An Endorser can be a professional in social work or family services, a shool principle or counsellor, a senior recreation administrator, accountant, law enforcement officer, a registered physician, or a priest or pastor.
- Endorsers cannot be a family member.
- For elite athletes (athletes selected to participate at a national or higher competitive level), an endorser can be a National Coach, Head of Athletics Programme at School or President of the relevant National Sports Governing Body.
Once the completed application is received and if approved by the advisors to The Flora Fund, a grant confirmation letter will be sent to the sport organization or individual.
Please keep a photocopy of the application for your records.
Please allow a minimum of 30 days for review of application, processing time will vary depending on the availability of funds.
Notification of the status of the application will be sent to the adult sponsor as soon as possible. If the application is approved, a copy of the letter of the notification may also be sent to the sport organization specified on the application. The parent, guardian or sport organization must notify the BCF if the athlete withdraws from the sport activity. The grant must be used by the athlete for whom the grant was approved; no portion of the grant can be transferred to someone else.
Privacy / Confidentiality: